Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I'm Only Human (But Less Than I Used To Be)


                      
In two more days, I will have had these new knees for 7 weeks. 

When I read the above sentence, it seems like a short period of time. But living it? It feels like a lifetime. Not everything in that lifetime of 7 weeks has gone as anticipated.

Oh, I scoured the internet before the operation, seeking the magic words of "bilateral knee replacement". I read the blogs. I listened to others who had been through the procedure. Actually thought I had it all figured out!

My surgery went smoothly. I have nothing but praise for my knee doctor, my hospital stay, and my physical therapy sessions while at the hospital, home, and now at the office. The doctor was quite pleased with my new knees at my first checkup. The therapists all have said that I am doing quite well. 

It's only when you get to me, myself, and I that things don't go according to plan. And the biggest thing in my life right now is pain. Each day does get a bit brighter, but to someone who has dealt with constant pain for over a year, that tiny bit is not nearly enough. I want the pain to be gone; I am so weary of dealing with something that is wearing me down to a shadow. More tears have been shed in this last 7 weeks than I have ever experienced. 

That light at the end of the tunnel? I want to be standing in it. And not just standing, but dancing. Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment